Preparation for Moving
Here is a checklist of tasks to take care of prior to moving:
1. Decide whom you will retain as an attorney or closing agent and retain them as soon as you have a ratified contract, or before if the negotiation will be complex. If the negotiation will be complicated, have your attorney look over the final offer before ratifying and submitting it. Be sure to know what the attorney or closing agent’s fee will be.
2. Shop for and obtain an “insurance binder” for your new home and request that it be delivered to your attorney or closing agent prior to closing because you will be responsible for home insurance beginning the day of closing. You probably will need to prepay six months to a year of the premium, but this cost can be rolled into closing costs.
3. Schedule a time and date for the settlement appointment at your attorney or closing agent’s office, and notify your Realtor of this. Try not to schedule closing for a Friday or for the last day of the month.
4. In advance of closing, discuss with your attorney what specific charges will be part of your closing costs.
5. If you are obtaining a mortgage, ask your lender what closing costs can be rolled into the mortgage, to reduce the amount of cash you will need available at closing.
6. Keep checking in with your lender until you have a firm letter of loan commitment on or before the deadline in your contract which specifies a date and time you have agreed to for loan commitment and therefore, removal of the financing contingency.
7. Schedule a mover well in advance
8. Schedule a “Pod” to be delivered to your present home if appropriate.
9. Consider scheduling a housekeeper to clean out your new house before/during the move and to return to your former home to clean for the new occupants.
10. Buy boxes for the belongings you want to pack yourself. Plastic boxes with secure one-piece tops from WalMart or other stores work well. Label where each box will go in the new home; for bedrooms and bathrooms, number them “master bedroom, bedroom #2, bedroom #3, etc). These same boxes can be used to organize your garage/attic storage areas after the move. Be sure to have a cooler(s) on hand to transport your refrigerated and frozen food the day of the move.